About Hughes Brennan & Wirtz, Inc.:
Auto Insurance, Home Insurance and more.
Hughes Brennan & Wirtz, Inc., a full-line insurance agency, was founded in 1928 by J.G. Fogarty in Mallard, Iowa. The agency was founded to service the growing need for auto insurance in Palo Alto County. After 26 successful years of business, the agency was purchased in 1954 by Clifford Hughes, who moved the agency to Emmetsburg in 1962. Growth and perpetuation resulted in Jim Wirtz joining the agency in 1965 as a life and health producer, subsequently becoming a full-line licensed agent. In 1966, HBW merged with the Bill Brennan Agency and further expanded its ability to service the area. In 1973, the Beryl Rupp agency was purchased and a substantial book of property casualty business was merged in the HBW agency. In 1978, Phillip Andreasen, a graduate of the University of Iowa, joined the agency, bringing with him six years of broad insurance background from the St. Paul and INA insurance companies.
In 1999, Scott Wirtz, a graduate of the University of Northern Iowa, joined the agency with five years of experience from Allied Insurance in Iowa and Minnesota. Scott then became a full-lined licensed agent.
The diversified ages of the agency personnel gives Hughes Brennan & Wirtz a broad mix of experience, background, and community involvement.
Some of our community and business involvements:
- Two Chamber of Commerce Presidents
- Rotary Club President
- Education Foundation President
- Church Board President
- Two Country Club Presidents
- Member of County Conservation Foundation Board
- Former Iowa House of Representatives Member
- Former President of Iowa Independent Insurance Agents
- H.H “Red” Nelsen Insurance Agent of the Year Award
- Current Board Member of Iowa Independent Insurance Agents
- Technical, Young Agent and Government Affairs Committee Members of the Independent Insurance Agents
- United Security Life President’s Club Member
- National Traveler’s Life President’s Club Member
These are just a few of the activities that help the agency remain premiere in the area.
Hughes Brennan & Wirtz continues to bring good service to the clients in our community, as well as an active role in the insurance community.